2-day workshops run Saturday through Sunday
3-day workshops run Friday through Sunday
5-day workshops run Friday through Tuesday
Definitions of Skill Levels for Workshops
Beginner and Beyond: Introductory level course that presents basic knowledge of tools, materials and techniques and is geared towards first timers or those who want to improve and expand their technique. It takes time to build skills.
Advanced Beginner and Beyond: Instruction that assumes some familiarity with tools, materials and equipment. Includes reviews and builds on basic skill sets, allows for those with more experience to work at their own pace. Further development of fundamentals, participants have had at least one class or equivalent with professional instruction.
Intermediate: Course content that assumes a working knowledge of basic studio tools, materials and equipment necessary to accomplish the projects and techniques to be explored. Participants feel comfortable in the studio setting.
Intermediate to Advanced: Course content that requires a proficient working knowledge of studio tools, materials and equipment necessary to accomplish the projects and techniques to be explored in class.
Advanced: Assumes proficiency and advanced working knowledge of materials and studio tools and equipment so that the focus is on artistic narrative and/or technical development.
Be sure to look at the STUDENT MATERIAL LIST for your workshop, which is located within the online description. You will be responsible for bringing those supplies with you. Peters Valley is in a very rural area, there are no supply stores or convenience stores nearby. When in doubt, pack it!
Please also take a look at the Student Handbook for complete workshop and campus information.
A typical workshop day: Workshops run from 9:00am – 5:00pm each day.
* Registration/check-in takes place between 8:15 and 8:45am at the office on the first day of the workshop.
* Lunch (which is included in tuition) is served from 12:15pm - 1:15pm each day at the Peters Valley Dining Hall.
* Dinner is served the night before workshops begin at 7:00pm for an additional $15. This is not included in any meal plans, but may be added on at the time of registration or paid for at the door in cash. Dinner is not served the last night of the workshop.* Any meal purchased directly at the dining hall must be paid in cash.
* Most studios are closed during meal times, but open at night if participants wish to continue working from 7:00pm until 10:00pm (Hours vary by studio).
* Clean up begins at about 3:00pm on the last day of the workshop and everyone is asked to participate. Workshops end at 5:00pm.
If you are staying on campus:
* Participants may arrive the evening before the workshops begin if paid for in advance. Check-in takes place between 12:00pm and 8:00pm at either the office or the gallery (The office is open until 5:30pm and the Gallery until 8:00pm.) We are in the National Park - it is very dark at night with minimal light sources. It is strongly encouraged to arrive before 8:00pm but if you are unable to arrive in before 8:00pm please be sure to let the office know so that arrangements can be made.
* Pillows, linens, and towels are provided in all dorms. Bring your own toiletries.
* The campus is quite spread out, with some of the studios being about 2 miles from the dorms & dining hall. Carpooling with other workshop participants is highly encouraged.
Campus Activities: (June – August only)
* Friday 12:00pm: Welcome and Staff Introductions at the Dining Hall
* Friday 7:00pm: Instructor Presentations at Bevans Church
* Saturday 7:00pm-10:00pm: Studio Hop. Participants are encouraged to visit other studios to see what is happening in other workshops.
* Tuesday 1:00pm: Weekly Auction & Show Tell under the Dining Pavilion. Instructors, staff, students donate work to be auctioned off to benefit the studios. Anyone can participate! Work made by workshop participants will also be on display for Show and Tell